One of the easiest -and most fun- things to do in the kitchen is to infuse your own olive oil with fresh herbs.
what you will need:
- olive oil ( I like to use robust)
- assorted fresh herbs (basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, cilantro, **assorted hot peppers, etc.. You may also mix them to make Italian spiced flavored, Mexican, etc…)
- glass jars with lids or bottles with lids or corks
- a small sauce pan
** peppers work best if you use them dry not fresh
what to do:
- rinse your herbs and separate. Let them dry for a few hours or you can put them in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- bruise your herbs so they begin to release flavors
- if you are planning on using your oil pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks) you can put your herbs straight into your bottles/jars. If you would like it to last longer, you will need to infuse it in a separate bowl so you can remove the herbs before storing in the jars or bottles.
- pour olive oil into small sauce pan and heat over low heat until warm. Be very careful not to get it too hot, or you can ruin the flavor of the oil.
- carefully, using your funnel, pour the warm olive oil into the jars/bottles (or in bowl if you are removing herbs)with the herbs.
- cover but do not seal
- cool completely
- Now you can either leave the herbs in the jars/bottles with the oil if you plan on using it up fairly quickly (within a couple of weeks) or strain the olive oil to remove the herbs.
- seal tightly