Fried Green Tomatoes. A Southern Favorite…….are today’s treat!
We went a little overboard with our tomato plants this year ( I’m not complaining…) so I thought, “why not enjoy some of the pre-ripened ones?”
Fried Green Tomatoes have always been a favorite of mine….. stacked with basil or pesto, and goat cheese, plain, with ranch dressing, balsamic drizzle, on sandwiches, with eggs,sprinkled with parmesan cheese, on spinach salad, the list goes on and on and on…..
here is a super easy recipe….
- Large green tomatoes ( best right off the vine, it’s best to get them before there is even a hint of ripening, so that they are very firm.)
- any breading mix – i use House Autry* chicken fry: the crispier , the better
- canola oil
- Add about 1/4 inch canola oil to skillet. turn to medium high heat, get VERY hot.
- Pour breading mix in a bowl ( I usually add some black pepper , but it’s not necessary)
- wash tomatoes.
- Slice tomatoes with a serrated knife. Medium slices about 1/3 inch thick is good.
- immediately place tomatoes in bowl with breading mix. toss to coat.
- once coated, place tomatoes in VERY HOT oil and fry for about 1 minute on each side. You can flip with a fork every 30 seconds to guarantee you don’t burn them.
- once done, take out of oil and drain off excess oil.
Now you can enjoy them by themselves or with your favorite condiments!