Here is one of my own recipes: Spinach enchiladas. *** You can add cooked chicken, , mushrooms, onions, or any of your favorite Mexican food ingredients to these to give them your personal touch. ( We like ours with mushrooms!)
Although it looks like there are a lot of step, I created these with “easy” in mind. I promise that is what they are. Enjoy!
what you will need:
- large rectangular glass oven safe cookware.
- 1 block 1/3 less fat plain cream cheese
- about 10 ounces shredded colby -jack cheese (I buy block and shred my own.)
- large size ( burrito) flour tortillas
- 2 -16oz. packs frozen chopped spinach
- 1- 16oz jar taco sauce
- 2 packages enchilada sauce mix ( like McCormick)
topping suggestions: black olives, green onions, diced jalapenos, sour cream
makes 6 enchiladas
- preheat oven to 425*
- grease bottom of cooking dish (about 1 tbs. canola oil works great)
- thaw and drain spinach well
- prepare 1 package enchilada sauce according to package, substituting 16 oz. taco sauce for tomato sauce.
- spoon a little bit of sauce into bottom of cooking dish, spread evenly
- divide colbly-jack cheese into 2 bowls- half in each
- layer onto the center of each tortilla: 1/6 cream cheese, 1/6 spinach, (***this is when you would add other ingredients to the layering), and 1/6 from one of the bowls of colby-jack
- open the other package of enchilada sauce mix and spoon about 1/2 tsp of the mixture onto the other ingredients on each of the tortillas (you will have about 1/2 the package left over)
- wrap tightly , folding both ends in.
- place enchiladas side by side in pan
- spoon sauce half of the sauce over the top, making sure to let some seep down between each one (this will make them easier to remove)
- cover and bake for about 15 minutes.
- remove from oven and sprinkle remaining colby-jack cheese onto the top of each one.
- re-cover and bake for 10 more minutes
- remove from oven
To serve: divide remaining sauce onto plates and with a spatula, carefully remove each enchilada and place on sauce.
Top with green onions, black olives, sliced jalapenos, and sour cream ( if desired)